POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Disappearing Large Sphere Bug in beta 8 : Disappearing Large Sphere Bug in beta 8 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:28:22 EDT (-0400)
  Disappearing Large Sphere Bug in beta 8
From: James Hansen
Date: 1 Dec 2001 17:53:47
Message: <3C095E20.C3FF6972@lineone.net>
Hi,

I've discovered a problem with very large spheres seeming to vanish
above a certain size. This fisrt showed itself when I was trying
to use randomly placed spheres to create a starfield: when I moved
the spheres further away from the camera (and made them larger) they
vanished.

I've seen this problem under Win 98 using POVRay 3.5 beta 8. I've
created
a small scene file and .ini file to demonstrate the problem. This
creates
an animation of a radius 1 sphere being scaled by values between 0 and
4,000,000 (the camera's at the origin, and the sphere is a few units
away). The sphere /should/ stay the same size, but at around
scale 2,800,000 it shrinks away, and vanishes.

This problem only seems to occur with evenly scaled spheres - I've tried
it with boxes and unevenly scaled spheres, and they're OK.

I'll post the .pov and .ini files to povray.beta-test.binaries

Thanks,
Alun.